Interesting People mailing list archives

Texas Wireless Ban is Dead

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:29:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chip Rosenthal <chip () unicom com>
Date: May 31, 2005 2:23:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Texas Wireless Ban is Dead

(Dave - for your readers if interested. Texas has been spared some really
bad telecom policy legislation.)

The Texas legislature went home this weekend without enacting the
proposed muni wireless ban into law.  The telecom legislation passed
by the Texas House was astoundingly skewed to favor SBC and opposed
by nearly every other organization and industry segmenent in the state.
One provision--the one opposed by SaveMuniWireless.org--would have banned
municipally operated wireless networks.

Thanks to the widespread opposition, the SBC favored legislation was
beaten back.  Never before in the history of this state has the powerful
phone lobby been so resoundly defeated.  Then again, never before have
Texas citizens stood up so strongly in opposition to bad telecom policy.

Links:
http://savemuniwireless.org/blog/000901.html
http://savemuniwireless.org/blog/000899.html
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/11769134.htm

Great credit goes to everybody who responded to the call to contact
their state representatives.

While we prevailed today, it's clear this issue isn't going away.  So,
neither is SaveMuniWireless.org.  (In fact, we've just received word
that a Dallas legislator has proposed a wireless ban at the federal
level.)  So, please keep a watch on our web site.

Again, thanks everybody for your support.

--
Chip Rosenthal * chip () unicom com * http://www.unicom.com/
W00t!  I have a weblog! * http://www.unicom.com/chrome/