Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:06:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: philipp schmidt <philipp () bridges org>
Date: May 4, 2005 6:00:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

The situation in Africa supports and extends Brad's point. For the majority of Africans the Internet has simply not arrived (regardless of who invented it when). In their "Halfway Proposition" paper, the African ISP Association AFRISPA argues that at the root of the problem lie "unfair" cost contracts that are in place between African networks and the international Internet backbone.

Halfway Proposition:

http://www.afrispa.org/Initiatives.htm
http://www.afrispa.org/HalfwayDocs/HalfwayProposition_Draft4.pdf

AIM

The Aim of the Halfway Proposition is to articulate the root causes of high connectivity costs in Africa and to map out a strategy of how to tackle the problem.

THE PROBLEM

Obtaining upstream connectivity requires African Internet Backbones (AISPs) to purchase bandwidth from International Backbone Providers (IBPs), which are largely network operators from within G8 countries. Typically 90% of an AISP's upstream cost is the physical link from them to the IBP's country and 10% is the cost of purchasing IP Bandwidth once they get there. Whether the service is purchased as a bundle or separately the AISP pays 100% of the International carrier to get from Africa to the IBP network and then 100% of the Internet bandwidth cost. This amounts to a reverse subsidy of IBP connectivity costs by AISPs.

(...)

Begin forwarded message: