Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Scholarly Journals' Premier Status Is Diluted by Web

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:51:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <allison () shasta stanford edu>
Date: May 23, 2005 6:20:56 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Scholarly Journals' Premier Status Is Diluted by Web

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Steve Crocker wrote (in part):

The tenure review process plays a subtle but critical role in retarding
the creation and rise of new peer-reviewed journals that might operate
on an entirely different business model.  Tenure (and other academic
advancement) committees are strongly geared toward name brand
recognition when examining a professor's publication list.  Young
professors thus tend to prefer the established journals even if there is substantial delay in getting published and higher cost to the potential
readers.

When I was involved with IEEE Computer Society Magazines and Journals,
there was significant pressure to accept and publish papers in research
journals that did not contribute any significant new knowledge or
understanding but did meet our standards of exposition.  There was also
strong pressure to create new journals and to increase the number of
publications and pages so that we could publish the plethora of articles
submitted. Presumably much of this pressure was because of the need for
publications for tenure track educators in a growing field.