Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Scholarly Journals' Premier Status Is Diluted by Web

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 17:30:52 -0400

Even though it is often a big fight djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: May 23, 2005 4:39:12 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Scholarly Journals' Premier Status Is Diluted by Web

Dave,

Computer Science research has taken a significant step in this direction. A number of years ago, many computer science departments, including many of the top ones, were able to establish with their universitites that highly-selective conferences provide a level of review comparable to archival journals and that the proceedings of these conferences are effective -- and sometimes the principal -- means of transmitting the ideas.

These conferences are, for the most part, sponsored by the technical societies, and they are less expensive than commercial journals. Electronic copies are available online for prices that mortals can afford, and universities can afford institutional sponsorships or memberships that provide online access for the campus.

This doesn't solve the whole problem, but it is an indication that the business model can change.

Mary