Interesting People mailing list archives

OK for Executive Branch agencies to commit crimes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:12:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christopher Effgen <build () gci net>
Date: May 14, 2005 10:41:10 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: OK for Executive Branch agencies to commit crimes

Recently the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a ruling by the Merit
System Protection Board, which provides in affect that executive branch
agencies may promulgate policies that contravene criminal laws and duties placed upon the President by Congress. The ruling by the MSPB and court will enable agencies to take personnel actions against applicants and employees who refuse to follow illegal orders and who make covered disclosures under the whistleblower protection act. http://www.fedcir.gov/opinions/ 05-3020.pdf

The acts that I attempted to prevent from taking place involved the
violation of approximately 100 Federal laws upon over 3.5 million people, which include over 10 million misdemeanor and felony counts that occurred
while the US Census Bureau misused its privileged access to personal
information. The Census Bureau does not dispute these allegations.

The legislative branch crafted the whistleblower protection act to as a
risk/threat management tool, by providing protection to federal employees and applicants, so that they could come forward and report allegations of wrongdoing. Unfortunately, when someone has been subject to retaliation, an executive branch agency, the OSC (which has a history of assisting agencies in firing whistleblowers) investigate the allegation and an executive branch judge who heard the complaint. In crafting the Whistleblower Protection Act the legislative branch has handed over, to an executive branch agency, its responsibility to act as a force against abuses of power by the executive branch. The practical result of this approach is that the executive branch
is free to act lawlessly against both the people and their employees.

The whistleblower that has been denied a right to a fair hearing may file an
appeal with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeal, but that court has a
limited jurisdiction.

The result of this is that (like a king) senior civil service employees are
free to act incompetently, irresponsibly, and lawlessly. If lower level
employees complain about wrongdoing they may be fired. The whistleblower
protection act does not provide protection, because in the event that an
employee is fired all the agency has to do is to produce any evidence, in a court very friendly to it, that it had a different reason to fire the person anyway. In my case the MSPB ruled I was not protected by the Whistleblower Protection Act because it was the policy of the agency not hire people who would not engage in the act that I claimed was illegal. The agency did not
dispute that its acts were illegal.

I stuck with the case for five years because I believe that the issue
involved is critical to freedom and liberty of the people the United States (and indeed, all the people of the world) and as time went by other issues
too became a concern to me. As a result of these experiences I can say
categorically, that it is not in any federal employee's interest to act to prevent harm to the people of the United States of America, that may be the
result of the malfeasance of their superiors. This is why no federal
employee would come forward prior to 911, and those that did come forward, and enabled the 911 Commission to do its work, could be forced out by their
agencies.
http://www.disastercenter.com/hsp-911commission-040913.pdf

As a consequence of its policy, the Census Bureau employed individuals with
criminal histories (who went into the homes of the people) as
representatives of the agency, innocent people were denied consideration for employment, and some arrested. At present, the FBI and the Census Bureau are
denying me access to information related to the alleged crimes.

For me the personal costs of doing this for the last five years have taken their toll. Part of the reason that I have kept at it is because I wanted to
make sure that no one ever would ever have to go through what I have in
order to deliver a "disaster message."  A message that was intended to
prevent a federal agency from violating the law and causing harm to the
people of the United States. What I realized, in the end, was that no one
can deliver a disaster message to the Federal government.

In the beginning, government was first formed to protect the right of people to be productive. It worked for a little while, but it was soon overcome, and for thousands of generations there were only two real classes of people, the conquered and the conquerors. The founding of this nation brought the original purpose of government back into the light, but the balance of power
necessary to maintain it has shifted.

When first I came across this problem, I remembered the words of Washington, who in his farewell address wrote, the true test of a constitution is in one
's experience.  I have spent a number of years trying to understand what
went wrong, where our path diverged from that of the founders and Lincoln, who tried to preserve it. For over a hundred years this nation has diverged from their path. The change was gradual, not detectable by any generation,
and now is being compounded because we are entering into a new age, the
Digital Age.

The issue here, as it was in the beginning, is what form of government will enable individuals to be most productive? Yet, the system of law that the United States now currently operates under is the system of the conqueror. It does not take a prophet to foresee where this path will end. For almost all of history, humanity has lived, worked, and died under that bloody yolk.
How can this country hope to succeed in creating freedom and liberty in
Iraq, when here in the United States you are in the process of destroying
it?

Christopher Effgen
6921 Weimer
Anchorage, AK 99502