Interesting People mailing list archives

Wireless Perception Versus Reality

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:50:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: May 12, 2005 9:24:48 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Wireless Perception Versus Reality

[Note: This item comes to me from friend Esme Vos of MuniWireless.com DLH]

May 10, 2005

Wireless Perception Versus Reality
By David Haskin
Mobile Pipeline
<http://www.mobilepipeline.com/163100577>

For all the talk about municipal Wi-Fi networks, will people use them when they're available? For Mobile Pipeline readers, the answer is overwhelmingly "no" -- for now. The recently-completed Mobile Pipeline Voting Booth survey asked what type of mobile connectivity you expect to use in the next year. About 27 percent of respondents said they expect to use 3G offered by wireless carriers. Wi-Fi hotspots drew 19 percent, WiMAX drew 18 percent and only four percent of respondents said they expect to use municipal Wi-Fi networks.

Current predictions aren't the test of which types of connectivity will succeed. Rather, the survey was more about perception. For instance, WiMAX did pretty well more because of perception than reality -- the technology gets a ton of attention, but mobile WiMAX is about two years away and the survey asked about usage one year from now.

In retrospect, it's not surprising that the perception of municipal Wi-Fi is low. For one thing, the perception of government's ability to deliver services is low. Also, municipal Wi-Fi has been blasted by incumbent telecoms, claiming it infringes on their turf. The negative public relations undoubtedly has hurt perceptions of municipal Wi-Fi.

Perhaps most important, though, is the fact that Mobile Pipeline readers tend to be computing professionals. This isn't a group accustomed to acquiring services from government, particularly when the precise nature and quality of those services is unknown and surely will vary from city to city.

The primary goals of most municipal Wi-Fi services are to provide access to less affluent users and to all users when no other fast access is available. Many municipalities have also said they want to use municipal systems to buff up their image as a place in which to do business although the Voting Booth survey indicates that business isn't interested so far.

Perhaps the most telling statistic from the survey is that the largest numbers of respondents -- 29 percent -- expect to use two or more types of services. That response makes the most sense to me because none of the wireless access services will be truly ubiquitous, although 3G will come closest in the next year.

Having said all this, it's still astounding to me that the incumbent telecoms have spent so much energy, time and money fighting municipal Wi-Fi systems. It's becoming clear, at least to me, that municipal systems will fill in gaps more than be direct competition to the telcos.

The strong positive response to 3G re-confirms, to me, that 3G has the potential to be the goose laying the golden eggs -- but only if wireless operators lower prices sooner rather than later and better understand how their customers expect to access data. If those things don't happen in the next year as 3G networks become widely available, perceptions surely will change rapidly.

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>