Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Passports for your children

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:27:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: jonathan () pobox com
Date: May 11, 2005 5:34:43 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Passports for your children

owner-ip () v2 listbox com wrote on 05/11/2005 05:21:17 PM:

> I recently got passports for my children and I was told both parents
> had to actually be in attendance for the original application.  I was
> not given the option to notarize the absent parent's signature.
> I complied of course, because I had no choice, if I wanted passports
> for my children.

Dave,

I have an infant daughter and my wife and I were talking about applying
for a passport the other day.  The restriction seemed reasonable to us.

Think about a domineering Islamist husband taking his wife to a local
notary and forcing her to sign a form stating that she's OK with issuing
passports to her children.

Before children are issued a document that could put them beyond the
reach of US law, it is important for someone to eyeball the parents,
both parents, and make sure they're both OK with the possibility that
the children can be taken beyond the reach of one parent's powers under
US law.

--
Jonathan Goldstein
jonathan () pobox com