Interesting People mailing list archives

REad it and prepare to stand on LONG LONG lines -- Senate Backs Measure to Tighten ID Requirements

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:17:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 11, 2005 11:08:11 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Senate Backs Measure to Tighten ID Requirements

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/ AR2005051001403.html

By Darryl Fears

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 11, 2005; Page A14

The Real ID Act, which the Senate approved yesterday, would make it more difficult for illegal immigrants to obtain identification that the federal government will recognize when they try to board an airplane, fill out tax forms or open a bank account. But the measure would affect U.S. citizens as well.

Americans would need an authentic copy of their birth certificate to apply for a new driver's license or renew an old one. The certificates must be verified at the counter by a Department of Motor Vehicles agent, along with other identification, such as Social Security numbers and utility bills. Governors, legislatures and officials in motor vehicle departments oppose the act, saying it would lead to agonizingly long lines at DMV offices

..

We need Niemöller but we get Andre Maginot. A national of bubble babies who think that the one authentic truth will save protect them from risk. What’s next, banning the first and last car of trains to prevent accidents? It’s depressing that we have a traditional of journalism which reports just the “facts” as if the spin were a “fact”.

Bob Frankston

http://www.frankston.com