Interesting People mailing list archives

Passports for your children

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:16:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: May 11, 2005 11:07:46 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Passports for your children

I attempted to renew the passports for my children. I have done this with out problem at least once before. As of today one parent can no longer renew passports for children. You must have a form from the absent parent. The form has no space for a notary to notarize the absent parent’s signature. But when you arrive to get the passport the post office will then inform you that you have to have the absent parent’s signature notarized.

I assume this is in response to the last decade’s three or four hugely publicized cases where middle eastern fathers have taken their children from this country and their mothers.

The more I thought about this the angrier I got.

The most enticing of all this administration’s endeavors seems to solve problems they and we do not have. For example, 9-11 was not caused by a security failure at the edges. The field agents had been following for months the suspicious activities of the terrorists and they dutifully submitted reports and made verbal entreaties that these people be looked into. The managers at the core refused.

The result? We beef up the edges and no at the core gets fired. Who lives at the edges? We do. So we go through the charade of jumping hoops at the edges because the people at the core are dishonest and refuse to admit the real problem.

Robert Lee