Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Not all municipal connectivity is "good"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:30 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsalex org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:57:28 -0500 (EST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Not all municipal connectivity is "good"

Actually, the traditional utilities do provide a fair amount of choice.
While my home receives the least common denominator (220V, single phase),
if I were willing to pay a bit more, I could get three phase.  My
employer receives much higher voltage and there is a substation on
premises (not sure if it's owned by the utility or us) to step the voltage
down for our various needs.

Similarly, I would imagine that municipal water utilities do
capacity planning on their systems to allow for the difference between a
home, an office building, and a manufacturer that uses water as part of
their
process.

I think this may be more analogous to the question as to whether the
municipal connectivity utility would provide only one connection speed
or whether they would also provide some higher speed connections for
small businesses than to the question of whether a municipality should
provide content or only connectivity.  However, arguing that utilities
should be one size fits all may serve to muddy the argument.

Best,
Scott

------ End of Forwarded Message