Interesting People mailing list archives

When is access unauthorized?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:05:31 -0800

_______________ Original message _______________
Subject:        When is access unauthorized?
Author: Tim Finin <finin () cs umbc edu>
Date:           11th March 2005 7:20:20  PM

Len Metheny, CEO and president of ApplyYourself, the software
that all the affected schools used for applications, said the procedure
to access the records was sufficiently complicated that anyone doing so
would have to have known it was unauthorized.

I have a bad feeling that we're going to start hearing this
argument from some of our students soon....

  "It was obvious to us, Professor, that the complexity of
   problems three and four were so great that we were not
   authorized to solve them.  While we could have solved
   them, rest assured, doing so would have required
   abrogating our high moral and ethical standards."