Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Opinions Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips rumor on CNet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:11:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Clauson <mec () dotorg org>
Date: June 4, 2005 11:32:29 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Opinions Re: [IP] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips rumor on CNet

On Jun 4, 2005, at 6:39 AM, David Farber wrote:

http://news.com.com/2102-1006_3-5731398.html?tag=st.util.print

I have significant doubts that Apple as a corporation is stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot like this. Anyone who follows the more hardcore tech rags, or even a news aggregator like Slashdot, will remember the recent PearPC/CherryOS debacle, where the specifics of emulation of grossly different hardware (in this case, the PowerPC CPU architecture on the Intel x86 platform) can have massively horrible results in performance. In this case, it's allegedly due to the horribly different CPU designs, including instruction sets and number of registers between the two architectures. Apparently the reverse type of emulation (x86 emulation on PPC architecture) doesn't have as many problems.

The major question to ask is what will Apple's user base do if this switch happens? A lot of current (and theoretically non-legacy) applications will have to run under the emulation, significantly impairing performance. Does Apple expect that the users will shell out hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars to upgrade their applications to something that will run natively on the new platform? What about the thousands of dollars in man-hours for third- party software vendors (like Adobe) to port their products to OSX/ Intel platforms? While users pay a premium for Apple hardware currently (and I'll admit, I've been bitten by the bug recently and am beginning my own conversion after over a decade of almost-rabid Linux usage) that premium is usually well justified in the elegance and performance of the hardware, especially the past few years under OSX. Does Apple really expect their users to end up paying thousands of dollars to switch to what seems to me like a computationally inferior platform?

I pray that they don't, for this would almost be a form of corporate seppuku if they do.

--mec