Interesting People mailing list archives

Jim Babka: A lesson from the Real ID Act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:09:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
Date: June 4, 2005 11:29:23 AM EDT
To: johnmac's living room <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Cc: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Jim Babka: A lesson from the Real ID Act

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Downsizer-Dispatch () downsizedc org
To: distribution () downsizedc org
Subject: A lesson from the Real ID Act

D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h

|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|

The Real ID Act could have been defeated if more
Americans had complained earlier. But only a couple
thousand did. Right before and immediately after the
Real ID Act passed into law, websites and blog
articles opposing it popped up all over the place: Too
little, too late.

Our own all-too-human psychology is often our worst
enemy. We're not roused to action until it is nearly
or entirely too late. Too often we spend our time,
money, and effort when it has the least chance of
success, when earlier action could have achieved the
goal with less effort and cost.

Those DC Downsizers who acted early and each one of
the four times we called on you to oppose REAL ID Act
(since October '04) are to be commended. You are the
kind of people who will eventually make a difference
in the fight against big, oppressive government. But
for those who didn't act early and often on REAL ID,
here's another chance...

HR 1528 will inaugurate a new era in American history.
Americans, for the first time, will be punished with
imprisonment for not informing to the government on
their friends, family, and neighbors. If this law
passes Congress will be emboldened, and expand the
technique to other areas.

Do you want to stop this law now, or wait until after
it is too late?

The time to kill this law is now, while it is still in
committee. We must not wait until it has momentum and
is on its way to a final vote.

The same thing applies to the campaign to pass the
"Read the Bills Act of 2005" (RTBA). It will require
urgent and continual appeals to Congress to pass this
law. Another RTBA "blitz-day" is coming soon, so be
prepared to act when that day arrives. Meanwhile...

Scare Congress away from the idea of compelling
Americans to inform on their friends, family and
neighbors. Send Congress a message opposing HR 1528
right now, by clicking here
http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=28

Thank you.

Jim Babka
President
DownsizeDC.org, Inc.

|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|

D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h
is the official email list of
http://www.DownsizeDC.org.

CONTRIBUTE to this project at
http://www.downsizedc.org/contribute.shtml

DownsizeDC.org, Inc. -- a non-profit
educational organization promoting the ideas of
individual liberty, personal responsibility,
free markets, and small government.

VISIT the Foundation's web site at
http://www.DownsizeDC.org

SUBSCRIBE to this list by sending a text only (no HTML)
email to distribution-request () DownsizeDC org with the word
   subscribe
on the first line of the body of the message.
Please leave the rest of the message blank.

You are encouraged to forward this message to
friends and business associates, and permission is
hereby granted to reproduce any items herein as
long as attribution is provided for articles and
the subscription instructions above are included.

 "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "You Gotta Believe" - Frank "Tug" McGraw (1944 - 2004 RIP)

                          John F. McMullen
   johnmac () acm org johnmac () computer org johnmac () m-net arbornet org
         johnmac () tmail com johnmac () panix com johnmac () echonyc com
           jmcmullen () monroecollege edu johnmac () alumni iona edu
              ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer