Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:18:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bradley Roberts <brarrr () gmail com>
Date: June 27, 2005 6:56:55 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: egor () kobylkin com
Subject: Re: [IP] Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

So either the universities in question could not afford rejecting the grad students that failed or would have fail TOEFL, or something is wrong with the language tests themselves.

As a current graduate student in engineering, with numerous friends from both native English speaking countries and other-language- countries, I'd say that cheating is rampant on both the GRE and TOEFL in some "foreign" countries. I have no proof other than the near- complete inability to comprehend the English language coupled with GRE verbal scores in the 99th percentile for some students. The native-english speaking students in many research groups get the dubious pleasure of helping correct and clean up manuscripts for publication from their colleagues who are supposedly masters of vocabulary and grammar. I'm not putting this forth as a complaint but as support for the idea that *something* is wrong with the language tests/testing methods themselves. These are good people but some DO lack the necessary oral and written knowledge of the language in which they're instructing.