Interesting People mailing list archives

500 Miles per Gallon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:32:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: June 17, 2005 11:07:46 PM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Subject: 500 Miles per Gallon

Dave,

Readers of IP might be interested in Tom Friedman's op-ed in Friday's NY Times.

I blogged it at greater Democracy with extra added cowbell [links] in the text.

<http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000381.html>

June 17, 2005
500 miles per gallon

And that is NOT a typo! Friedman is writing about his vision for a geo-green approach to policy. He argues that "the solutions to our problems (of developing a geo-green strategy) are already here."

Op-Ed Columnist
As Toyota Goes ...

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Published: June 17, 2005

So I have a question: If I am rooting for General Motors to go bankrupt and be bought out by Toyota, does that make me a bad person?

It is not that I want any autoworker to lose his or her job, but I certainly would not put on a black tie if the entire management team at G.M. got sacked and was replaced by executives from Toyota. Indeed, I think the only hope for G.M.'s autoworkers, and maybe even our country, is with Toyota. Because let's face it, as Toyota goes, so goes America.

snip ----

[Of course cowbell does not show in plain text email].

Jock Gill
Meme Intelligence
jock.gill () memeintel com
(781) 396-0492
"Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges."