Interesting People mailing list archives

legal hijacking of technical terms -- Re: "DRM"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:18:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Gerck <egerck () nma com>
Date: June 17, 2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: legal hijacking of technical terms -- Re: [IP] "DRM"

[Dave: for IP]

DRM is _not_ a legal term; it's a technical term. In IT security, when
we talk about "rights" we do not mean whatever the local legal meaning
for "rights" might  be.

One would hope that the legal terminology war that has hijacked so much
of the X.509/PKI technical work would stop there, where it has already
shown to cause  more harm than help.

The technical term Digital Rights Management is about "digital rights"
-- as in access rights to digital information. Whether those digital
access rights correspond or not to legal rights is an open, local and
variably-understood question. It may well be that DRM imposes access
restrictions that are not legal in some jurisdictions, while they are
legal in others.

OTOH, technically, "protection" is not the same as "rights". Therefore,
DRM and TPM, technically, should not be the same.

Regards,
Ed Gerck