Interesting People mailing list archives

Tellywood and the Cable Orifices

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:03:46 -0400

did same for me

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 12, 2005 1:40:53 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>, 'Brad Templeton' <brad () templetons com>
Subject: Tellywood and the Cable Orifices

I don’t have time to write a full comment so I’ll just note – I tried hooking up a DVI cable to my Comcast/Motorola STB while viewing component video on my Dell 1920x1200 monitor and up popped a message: HDCP Authentication Failed. Please use the YPbPr outputs for your HD connection.

It’s interesting that when I turn on the STB with the DVI input showing it does show the programming briefly. From the various idiosyncrasies it’s clear that the mapping of inputs to output with resolution adjustments the ability to add text selectively for each path this is all software based and there are no hardware issues. It’s just arbitrary policy and simple programming.

For all the inflated reports about piracy the damage being done by trying to second guess all of the equipment combinations I’m allowed to have and the innovation that will be tolerated is far worse – it’s denying us the future. There’s a lot of effort going into preventing me from doing things rather than creating opportunity.

It’s like focusing on QoS to dole out scarcity rather than creating new capacity. Same thing with that computer in my pocket – it’s only tolerated as long as it can raise the ARPU (Average Revenue Per User).

Bob Frankston http://www.frankston.com