Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Digital TV Fiasco

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:01:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: June 10, 2005 6:55:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on The Digital TV Fiasco

Rumour has it Tim Onosko, on or about 10/06/2005 2:32:51 PM EDT, whispered:

Brad Templeton is absolutely right on this, but he doesn't mention the
very real reason why digital TV must move from MPEG2 to MPEG4
(specifically the new H.264 or "AVC" codec):  Picture quality.

Anyone who has watched digital cable or satellite signals can tell you
that the quality is TERRIBLE.

As someone who suffers under the iron heel of Videotron cable in Montreal, Quebec I can second that argument. They are shoving internet, digital TV and regular cable and compressing the heck out of my digital channels. This is especially visible for some reason in ocean documentaries, the banding in the water is atrocious. I have not even bothered investing in an HDTV because of a complete lack of confidence in their ability to actually deliver any watchable
high def content.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.blogspot.com
He needs a lang shanket spoon that sups kail wi' the de'il