Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The real problem with the Apple-Intel announcement: Osbournization

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:35:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: gjones () ScottStringfellow com
Date: June 7, 2005 2:31:09 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on The real problem with the Apple-Intel announcement: Osbournization

Many folks on IP are far to close to the situation.  Far to technical.
The average Joe/Jane buying a computer is not immersed in the minutia of
processor design.  He/she could care less.  They just want a computer
that works.  Apple has to reach the crowd that is buying millions upon
millions of the $500 Dell Wintel machines if they want to actually
compete and move beyond the niche and iPod.  IBM is not going to be
there with all sorts of marketing muscle.  Intel has done an incredible
marketing job with the "Intel inside" campaign and I would not be
surprised that some folks did NOT buy and Apple because it did not have
the "Intel inside" label on the box.  Just ask AMD how successful that
marketing program has been.