Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The real problem with the Apple-Intel announcement: Osbournization

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:20:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jack <j_c () mvps org>
Date: June 7, 2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] The real problem with the Apple-Intel announcement: Osbournization

---- Original Message ----
From: dave () farber net
To: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] The real problem with the Apple-Intel announcement:
Osbournization
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:28:42 -0400

Osbournization

Personally, I'm concerned for Apple - not because of the technical
challenges (they are surmountable) - but because of the likelihood
that Apple has now 'Osbourned' themselves.  (I assume that most IP
readers are old enough to understand the "Osbourne" reference.)

For example, I had been planning for some time to replace my aging
Intel laptop (running Windows NT) with an Apple PowerBook.  But I now

wonder if I should wait a year or so until Apple comes out with a
(presumably much better performing) new Intel-based PowerBook.

What was their other choice? To continue to wait for something from
IBM which was never going to arrive? It was obviously a painful
decision, but this is probably the best time to make the switch as
they still have lots of iPod cash rolling in to support themselves
through the transition. You have to admire Apple for making the tough
decisions and following through.

-Jack Dahlgren