Interesting People mailing list archives

Cell carriers becoming concerned about cell data to wifiadapters (fwd)

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:30:45 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Marc"<marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Sent: 14/07/05 8:09:24 AM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Cell carriers becoming concerned about cell data to wifiadapters (fwd)

Hi Dave;

It appears that the telcos aren't learning from history. They are selling
connectivity to a network - the usage of that connectivity it purely at the
discretion of the customer! Several years ago, with the increasing ease of
implementing SOHO routers, there was a bit of a stink put up by the telcos
that customers should pay "per connected device" rather than per terminal
adapter. This did not last long, and we now enjoy the right to share our DSL
line, not only with our families or co-workers, but even with utter
strangers as part of a neighborhood community network!

Why are mobile network connections any different? If I buy unlimited usage
from Verizon, there is no difference in provisioning requirements to Verizon
whether I download movies non-stop, or share my connection with a dozen
friends on a train ride from New York to L.A. - I paid for a service, and I
am using it. If the telcos decide to block this usage, another provider will
step in to service this market, because (IMHO) this IS the market. Sooner or
later, places like buses, trains (we already have the ability in some
aircraft), event installations (mobile amusement parks, concerts, etc.) and
any other mobile or temporary environment where people might want to
connect, will use this type of technology to provide easy access. The telcos
can either service the market or lose it.

If they want to keep trying to get a mobile DSL service to work at a
consumer level, they will need to drop the price and increase the bandwidth
to compete with traditional DSL - there is still a market for personal
mobile internet, but until it offers a viable alternative to the much
cheaper, if more restrictive, fixed solutions, it will still be no more than
a toy for certain niches. (gadget geeks, mobile sales forces for high ticket
items, etc.)

Marc