Interesting People mailing list archives

A well-known name gets tapped to run DHS Policy Shop

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:26:21 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Brock Meeks"<Brock.Meeks () msnbc com>
Sent: 13/07/05 9:47:38 PM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: A well-known name gets tapped to run DHS Policy Shop

Looks like our friend Stewart Baker is headed back to civil service, having been nomiated to run the new DHS policy
shop.

Looking forward to talking with Mr. Baker in his new capacity!  That's right, Stewart, I got the Homeland Security beat
at MSNBC. :)

Here's the official annoucement from DHS:

The President intends to nominate Stewart A. Baker, of Virginia, to be an Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security
(Policy).  Mr. Baker is currently a Partner with Steptoe & Johnson, LLP in Washington, D.C.   He previously served as
General Counsel for the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass
Destruction.  Prior to that, Mr. Baker served as General Counsel for the National Security Agency.  Earlier in his
career, he was a law clerk for Justice John Paul Stevens, U.S. Supreme Court.  Mr. Baker received his bachelor’s degree
from Brown University and his J.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles.