Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Reality check: What this mailing list is all about ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:07:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf () waypt com>
Date: July 31, 2005 12:55:24 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net

Dave -

I agree with Lauren. This list is made up of people with a wide variety of viewpoints, and is not designed to be an echo chamber. That's unusual in today's discussion groups, lists, blogs, and so forth, which often tend to be virtual places of narrow focus, where the correspondents agree with each other and become abrasive when a voice with a different perspective turns
up.

IP has long been a spot of fresh air on the Internet, populated by people from a wide range of experience and backgrounds, who can generally discuss significant topics with civil thought and fingers. Sure, things can get a bit of rough and tumble when cherished positions get pricked, but that's one
of the most endearing things about the list.  We can agree to disagree
without becoming as snooty as those posting in other Internet venues often do. Most of us take other points of view and give them consideration, even when they stray far afield from our comfort zones. A lot of us thrive on
tossing about the controversial events of the day.  Some of us can be
convinced to shift our stance when presented with new information.

One of the best things about IP is that it's a place where we can all learn
from one another, whether our names would be recognized at the top of a
newspaper, magazine, or journal article or not. It's a place where we are all on the same footing, and it's pretty certain that we are all interesting
people...at least in our own eyes!

    Norman