Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gates: Lack of Computer Science Spending Is 'Kind of a Crime'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:33:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: khare () alumni caltech edu
Date: July 25, 2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Gates: Lack of Computer Science Spending Is 'Kind of a Crime'

Dave, just to be clear, the charge below is a bit of a stretch. I have no opinion on the other elements of the claim -- I was quite surprised to see
the connection, too.

It turns out the Discovery Institute is indeed "that" DI (pro- Intelligent
Design and what not). And it's true there's a $9.3M pledge from the
Gateses -- but it's for a strikingly unrelated project on future
transportation needs of the Puget Sound region.

In other words, the grant was to the Cascadia project for more roads
(amongst other things). Perhaps some Greens have an opinon, but it's
unfair to tie it to science teaching...

I leave it to others to comment, however, on whether the fungibilty of
funds, and the mere transfer of reputation-by-association constitute
residual support. But it's not quite as clear-cut as below.

Best,
  Dr. Rohit Khare
  Director, CommerceNet Labs
  http://Commerce.Net/

For more information:
http://www.cascadiaproject.org/
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php? command=view&program=News&id=1537

Discovery Institute to expand efforts to create regional transportation

solutions through a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

More than $9 million pledged over 10 years to Cascadia Project

SEATTLE -- The Discovery Institute today announced a 10-year, $9.35

million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The grant will
enable Discovery Institute to increase the efforts of its “Cascadia
Project,” a long-term initiative to develop balanced, seamless, and
expanded transportation systems among Washington, Oregon and British
Columbia through public-private partnerships and innovative financing.

Begin forwarded message:

From: jean_camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Date: July 25, 2005 12:09:34 PM EDT

Silly me. I thought "the crime" was that he has who received the most
concentrated wealth giving millions to support dismantling American
schools and encouraging that evolution be replaced with intelligent
design.

Note the Gates Foundation gave 9.3 Million in a single gift to the
Discovery Institute, and you will find Bill & Melinda as hosts at
their major events. In her spare time, Melinda graciously volunteers
at that  conservative think-tank operations aimed at the destruction
of public schooling, which these richest parents on the planet have
found "obsolete".