Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Gates: Lack of Computer Science Spending Is 'Kind of a Crime'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:44:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Benjamin Kuipers <kuipers () cs utexas edu>
Date: July 22, 2005 12:53:00 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Gates: Lack of Computer Science Spending Is 'Kind of a Crime'

At 5:56 PM -0400 7/20/05, David Farber wrote:

... Gates said. "If they said they'd read 'The Art of Computer Programming' and they did all the problems, I'd hire them right away!"

Klawe chimed in: "So would I!"

I wouldn't, because they'd be lying. For some of those problems, a solution would earn you a PhD, and a few might get you a Turing Award.

Someone who told me he had done "all the problems" is either lying, or he hasn't understood what he's read.

Ben

--

Benjamin Kuipers, Professor         email:  kuipers () cs utexas edu
Computer Sciences Department        tel:    1-512-471-9561