Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYC to search transit riders' bags -- but ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:20:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick Adams <Rick.Adams () Cello Net>
Date: July 22, 2005 8:57:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on NYC to search transit riders' bags -- but ...

If:
    "truly random searches are likely to be more effective
    than searches that follow a system."

then it clearly follows that systematic searches are likely to be less effective
than random searches, which means that systematic searches will
likely perform worse than just getting lucky.

Somehow I continue to not be reassured...