Interesting People mailing list archives

Why are Movie Theatre Revenues Declining?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:42:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Ritholtz <britholtz () maximgrp com>
Date: July 19, 2005 2:32:15 PM EDT
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Why are Movie Theatre Revenues Declining?

Hey Prof,

For IP, if you like . . .

Why are Movie Theatre Revenues Declining?
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/07/declining_movie.html

There's been plenty of chatter about declining movie theatrical revenue. You just know the MPAA is itching to tie this onto piracy somehow and thus get some favorable legislation. Let's nip this one in the bud, shall we? 5 factors are hurting theater revenue:

1) Social factors eroding theater environment (talking, cell phones, babies crying, etc.); 2) Sacrificing long term relationships with theater goers for the increase in short term profitability (commercials, no ushers, etc.);
    3) Higher quality experience elsewhere (Home theater);
    4) Declining quality of mainstream movies;
5) Easily available "Long Tail" content alternatives (Netflix, Amazon).

While content quality has indeed worsened over the years, it shouldn't be much of an issue this Summer: As of late, there have been a spate of movies which have been either well-reviewed (Batman Begins) or had good word-of-mouth (Wedding Crashers) or incredible special effects perfectly suited to the big screen (Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds).

So what else might be the source of declining theatrical fortunes?

How about the movie-going experience itself? The adventure of heading to a cineplex is becoming a less and less pleasant ordeal. Many of the headaches involved have been painfully detailed by Bob Lefsetz' readers (see below).

Note that we are not even discussing content quality at this point.

Then there are the adverts. A recent L.A.Times article -- Now playing: A glut of ads -- points out that even studio executives were stunned by 15 minutes of commercials theatre goers had to endure after paying their 10 bucks:

"As head of production at New Line Cinema, Toby Emmerich is not your typical moviegoer. So when he wanted to see "War of the Worlds" the other night, his choice was between seeing the film in a theater with a tub of popcorn or watching it in a screening room at Jim Carrey's house, with a private chef handling the culinary options. Despite this seemingly loaded deck, Emmerich opted for a real theater.

"I love seeing a movie with a big crowd," he says. "But I had no idea how many obnoxious ads I'd have to endure - it really drove me crazy. After sitting through about 15 minutes of ads, I turned to my wife and said, 'Maybe we should've gone to Jim Carrey's house after all.' "

When DreamWorks marketing chief Terry Press took her young twins to see "Robots" this year, she said, "My own children turned to me and said, 'Mommy, there are too many commercials!' Now, when the lights go halfway down, I'm filled with dread. The whole uniqueness of the moviegoing experience is being eroded by all the endless ads." (emphasis added)

So while the industry laments piracy, consider if you will why going to the theatre has become so much less enjoyable than watching DVD films on your own big screen in the comfort of your home theatre.

The theatres have adapted Radio's disasterous Hamburger Helper approach: Short term increases in profitability in exhcange for alienating your core audience, who eventually seek out a better substitute. Quite frankly, I'm astonished the film industry has (contractually) allowed theatre owners to degrade their copyright protected product by diminishing the experience so dramatically.

As Radio has so painfully learned, the end result is a big fat Buh-bye!

To a large degree, this is a zero sum game: The theatre chains losses are Best Buys' gain; Is it any surprise that high quality home sound systems and large screen TV sales have gone through a ginormous growth spurt over the past 5 years? Even as the lowest common denominator productions falter, Netflix (and its rivals) allow home theater owners to enjoy a Long Tail orgy of content.

Yo, theatre owners, when a segment of retail electronics called HOME THEATRE explodes in sales, that is your wake up call. You seem to have been oblivous, and missed the bell ringing.

Good luck getting the toothepaste back in the tube!

Sources:
Now Playing: A Glut Of Ads
The Big Picture
Patrick Goldstein
L. A. Times, July 12, 2005
http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/admark/la-et- goldstein12jul12,1,35978.story

Lefstz Letter
June 5, 2005

Barry L. Ritholtz
Chief Market Strategist
Maxim Group
405 Lexington Avenue,
New York, NY 10174
(212) 895-3614
(800) 724-0761
The Big Picture: Macro perspectives on the Capital Markets, Economy, and Geopolitics
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments

This message is intended only for use by the intended party and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, then any review, dissemination, replication or distribution of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete this message and all attachments.

Electronic communications routed to any employee of Maxim Group LLC ("Maxim") are for business purposes only. While messages are confidential, authorized management, legal and compliance personnel may review electronic messages. Electronic messages are also retained and would be provided upon request to an authorized regulatory body.

Do not use email or instant messaging to request, authorize or effect the purchase or sale of any security, to send fund transfer instructions or to effect any other transactions. Maxim does not accept responsibility for transmission via electronic means of trade orders. No guarantee can be made by Maxim of timely execution of any trade order transmitted via electronic means including email and instant messaging.

Information included in this email does not constitute a trade confirmation or an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy/sell securities. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.

Any attachment(s) to this electronic communication that was not prepared by Maxim Group, LLC ("Maxim") has been unaltered, and is in its original form. Any recommendation, opinion, or advice regarding securities or markets contained in any documentation that was not prepared by Maxim does not necessarily reflect the views of Maxim, and Maxim does not verify any information included in such material. Lastly, Maxim and/or its employees or affiliates may have an interest in, or from time to time trade or make markets in the securities (and/ or related derivatives) of the issues discussed in any attachment annexed hereto.