Interesting People mailing list archives

more on DO READ THIS DJF -- Aggressive Searches Pat-down Searches/Sexual Harassment at the Airport

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:11:01 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ben Pfaff <blp () cs stanford edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:23:57 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: more on DO READ THIS DJF -- Aggressive Searches Pat-down
Searches/Sexual Harassment at the Airport

My wife and I flew from San Jose to Las Vegas for our honeymoon
on Dec. 19.  We were originally booked on America West, but our
flight was canceled because of mechanical problems, and we were
rebooked on a "Ted" flight along with many other passengers.  We
discovered while passing through security that every passenger
who was rebooked had been flagged, apparently by "Ted" itself,
for extra screening.  Not nice--we'd already had to wait for
another flight and now we had TSA personnel poking at us too.

I got the impression that the airline is in charge of flagging a
certain proportion of passengers for screening, and they'd rather
screw other people's customers.  Of course, there's no actual
sense in considering passengers on a canceled flight to be
security risks.

--
Ben Pfaff
email: blp () cs stanford edu