Interesting People mailing list archives

NLR Resources for NSF proposals -- an open letter

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:26:24 -0500

Ipers, please pass this on to  your network research associates and ask them
to pass it on to their colleagues.

Dave

An Open Letter to the Network Research Community

Dear Colleague,

As you likely are aware, the National Science Foundation recently announced
the Networking Technology and Systems (NeTS) solicitation (NSF 05-505).  It
seeks to develop and sustain science and technology advances needed to
create next-generation networks, increase our fundamental understanding of
large, complex, heterogeneous networks, and continue the evolution of
existing networks.  Responses are due on January 21, 2005. For more
information, the solicitation is described in
<http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2005/nsf05505/nsf05505.htm>http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/
2005/nsf05505/nsf05505.htm.

We at the National Lambda Rail (NLR) project would like to make researchers
aware of the facilities that NLR can offer in support of their research.
NLR is a nationwide research network built on multiple optical channels
interconnected at several points of presence (POPs).  For details on
the network, we encourage you to visit our web site (www.nlr.net).

One key feature of the network is our ability to allocate individual
channels (lambdas) to particular research activities.  Indeed, you can
place your own equipment in our POPs and build your own network, using
lambdas we allocate to you.  This flexibility is intended to offer you
a large range of research possibilities, from experiments with new optical
equipment, to building networks customized for a particular application.

While NLR is happy to participate in any research activity that seems
likely to lead to innovation in data networking, NLR is best-suited
to research where there's a clear need for dedicated bandwidth or where
the experimentation is so close to the research edge, that failures will
be common, and thus keeping the experiments isolated from operational
networks is desirable.

NLR is happy to collaborate with researchers at any time during their
research.  So you can approach us after you've received research funding
from NSF (or any other research source).  However, if you would like
a letter from NLR that says we will give you resources if your work is
funded, we ask that you send us a two page description of your proposed
research, why it would benefit NLR resources, and what NLR resources
(number of lambdas, where the lambdas would be, how long you would need
the lambdas) to Dave Farber, the Chair of the NNRC -- dave () farber net. We'll
seek  to reply in a week or less..

Sincerely yours,

The NLR Network Research Committee

Paul Barford, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dan Blumenthal, University of California, Santa Barbara
Javad Boroumand, Cisco Systems
Hank Dardy, Naval Research Laboratory
Constantinos Dovrolis, Georgia Tech
David Farber, Carnegie Mellon University (chair)
Gerald Faulhaber, University of Pennsylvania
Paul Francis, Cornell University
Larry Landweber, University of Wisconsin-Madison and Internet2 (ex officio)
Jason Leigh, University of Illinois-Chicago
Steven Low, Caltech
Mike O'Dell, unaffiliated
Phil Papadopoulos, University of California, San Diego
Craig Partridge, BBN Technologies
Guru Parulkar, National Science Foundation
Harry Perros, North Carolina State University