Interesting People mailing list archives

increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be next?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:37:50 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joe Touch <touch () ISI EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:02:57 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be
next?)

About "new rules":

Occasionally, I have been asked (REQUIRED) to remove my sneakers and
have them x-ray'd. Every time I ask, I am told "it's standard
everywhere". However:

Places that do NOT require shoe removal:
 - Phila
 - Minneapolis
 - LAX

Places that DO require shoe removal:
 - Honolulu
 - St. Louis
 - Houston
 - Dallas
 - Wash DC

The TSA website is very clear on this:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1050.xml

 TSA Shoe Screening Policy

You are NOT REQUIRED to remove your shoes before you enter the
walk-through metal detector. However, TSA screeners may encourage you to
remove them before entering the metal detector as many types of footwear
will require additional screening even if the metal detector DOES NOT
alarm.

However, this is NOT the case - I have been REQUIRED to remove them on
places on the above list, even after reminding the agent that this is
against TSA policy.

How much of this do they get to make up on the fly? And is there any way
to object without basically inviting a full search?

Joe

------ End of Forwarded Message