Interesting People mailing list archives

increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be next?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:40:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:49:31 -0700
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>, <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: [IP] increasing idiocy in TSA <sigh> (will fingernails be
next?)

travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches 18 Dec 2004 15:10

The wonderful thing about the "no tools" rule (which is actually, as far
as I know, a fairly old one) is that there is a specific exemption for
corkscrews (but not corkscrews with foil cutters on them).  I ALWAYS
travel with a corkscrew and ALWAYS with a couple of lock picks.  The
lock picks are roughly as large as and as dangerous as your Allen
wrenches, actually a little less, because they are made of very thin
spring steel.  If you tried to stab someone with them, they would bend.

If the TSA finds the lock picks (which they do in about 1 in 10
screenings), about 1/4 of the time they will take one or more of them
away under the "no tools" rule.  They have been doing this for 3 years
now.  When they do that, I get a moment of my own amusement (since if
they're going to throw away a harmless $1.40 gadget, I might as well get
a laugh out of it).  I always pull out my corkscrew and ask "isn't this
more dangerous than the tool?"  And, of course, they always have to get
a little red in the face but admit that I am allowed to have the 3-1/2"
fairly sharp corkscrew (as long as it doesn't have a 3/4" long blade
attached to it).

The best time I had was when I was going through a French airport and
they went through this little charade.  I asked the screener "why can I
have a corkscrew, but not this little piece of dull steel?"  Her answer
was simple: "Because a cork screw is for wine!"  For all their faults,
you have to really love the French.  They do have their priorities straight.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)

------ End of Forwarded Message