Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Dave, why do the IP consider recognit ion of cr eationism in afewschool districts so

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:55:33 -0500

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        Re: [IP] Dave, why do the IP consider recognition of cr eationism in afewschool districts so
Author: Frank Nickerson <frankhawkin () yahoo com>
Date:           13th February 2005 3:19:30 pm

Dave,

I just joined this list of yours and don't know the protocol for responding.

My two cents: Until recent years I thought the argument of creationism in science classes was resolved.  I am appalled
that a state school board would endorse creationism in science class.  I thought that debate was decided years ago.  If
that debate can be reopened and reversed in Kansas why couldn't it happen elsewhere?  Kansas likely has poor and middle
class Americans who have crummy math and science scores as other states do.  The theory of evolution is fundamental in
science and I don't want similar reversals in decisions made in other states where it would further effect the crummy
math & science scores.

The problem with the other issues (global warming, genocide, war, AIDS) is that they take money to resolve once a
debate is settled.  This issue however is just a debate with no other attached spending initiatives.  Most school
textbooks are published for use nationwide and publishers only become profitable by publishing for a nationwide
audience.   However, if the debate in Kansas, for example, spreads to a state like Texas where a large percentage of
the nation's young students live, many textbook publishers will be pressured to include creationism in the science
texts they market for nation-wide use.  While some could see this as a local state issue, Kansas thus could be the
proverbial hole in the dike that could flood the country and further suppress our country's math and science scores.
It's much cheaper to plug dikes rather than to do full-fledged fixes.  That's why I care about the policy of a school
board in Kansas.

I think the Reverend makes a good point that we need to understand why people care so much about what is taught.
Otherwise those in favor of teaching only the theory of evolution in science class could find themselves trying to plug
holes across the country.

-Frank Nickerson