Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Radical Attacks on the Basis of Science

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:59:26 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jock Gill" <jg45 () mac com>
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Jock Gill" <jg45 () mac com>
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Radical Attacks on the Basis of Science

Dave,

For IP if you wish. Another point of view as to why the Christian Right party must try to determine what is taught.

Evil, Salvation and Politics
Jock Gill & Rev. Randolph Becker

We need to dig deeper into the root causes of so much of the conflict afoot in the land today. We need to understand how our concepts of "evil" influence how we think about political power.

There are deep links to the nature of the source and legitamacy of authority and how we understand sin. Is the serpent the symbol of wisdom or of evil? What is Family Values really about? What are the sources of authority of secular and theological power structures?

Is this the same debate that animated the conflict between the Orthodox Roman church and the Gnostic church in the early centuries of the Christian era? Elaine Pagels, in her book "The Gnostic Gospels", suggests links and relationships between: Martin Luther, The Quakers, and Paul Tillich. Most recently, many of us have direct and powerful experience of the 60's counter culture movements with their rejection of both top down authority and many of the classical sins.

A clue, in the bubble chamber sense, is that the Family Values proponents are strongly represented by very to ultra conservative Christians who have very rigid answers to the foundations of authority and the meaning of sin. Most of us on the progressive Left, or in David Brooks' words the "Educated Class of the university-town elite" have no understanding of the Religious Right Party's concerns with authority and sin and no well thought out and progressive 21st century positions on either.

------------- continued at <http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000338.html>

Jock Gill
Meme Intelligence
jock.gill () memeintel com
"Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges."