Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Creationists take their challenge to evolu tion theory into theclassroom

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:55:28 -0500

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        Re: Creationists take their challenge to evolution theory into theclassroom
Author: David Byrden <iplist () byrden com>
Date:           12th February 2005 1:26:23 pm

 there have been a number of comments from students
saying: 'Didn't God do that'?"

When anyone quotes "God" as an authority to me, I automatically
respond "which God?" If they specify one, I ask them what makes
it more real than any of the others.

I think my approach should be used to deflate the Creationists such as
Mr. Harris, who said:

"There are creation myths on both sides. Which one do you teach?"

Mr. Harris is wrong; there are more than two sides. Every religion has a
different creation myth. If the Creationists force Creation to be taught in
schools, the schools should teach every single creation myth from
cultures all around the world. This would leave no time for any science
in science class - thus making a point - and would undermine the students'
unthinking acceptance of Christianity.

                                                                David