Interesting People mailing list archives

more on States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:42:11 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mike O'Dell <mo () ccr org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:23:45 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

once again we see the systematic attack on "The Law of Large Numbers"

Insurance works because of this as do most other Public Good items.
we see this nonsense in people refusing to pay property taxes when
they don't have children, the next thing you know people in all-brick
houses will demand to not support the fire department.

this is just nuts - slicing and dicing into smaller and smaller
groups is absolutely pathological.

it's precisely why health insurance costs a fortune - the vendors
maximize the apparent risk and hence "justify" their charges
but on the back side, *they* get the benefit of "The Law of Large Numbers"
by averaging over the huge pool on the cost side.

same thing with this insane highway notion.  it's not the fault of
the drivers that the people who BUILT Los Angeles were idiots to
let it sprawl - they are the *victims*.  but as with the rest of
The New Cruelty, you deserve it for being a victim!

 -mo

------ End of Forwarded Message