Interesting People mailing list archives

Audio levels, was: more on Comcast rate hike

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:31:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: December 6, 2005 10:54:20 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, kgb () kgb com
Subject: Audio levels, was: more on Comcast rate hike

As a former head-end op...

Yes, a tech in the head-end can adjust the levels for all channnels. Whether he gets notice that the audio is incorrect is another thing. We could also hope the tech doesn't have a tin ear and can indeed hear the difference of 5dB.

There are different bands that make up a cable throughput, and it is posible that one band is down from another. But, the trouble is getting someone who cares is another issue (from the call center op, through technical, to the head-end operator(s)).

And as a former Broadcast/Master Control Op... The compression and limiting on the audio can make commercials "sound" louder.

Matt Murray

MattM () optonline net