Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Google search and seizure, etc. vs. technologists

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:53:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>
Date: December 3, 2005 11:31:26 PM EST
To: "William S. Duncanson" <caesar () starkreality com>
Cc: lauren () vortex org, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Google search and seizure, etc. vs. technologists

William S. Duncanson wrote:
I have to agree with Lauren here.  The "average user's" lack of
understanding has been the reason why far more important and useful
technologies have never been widely adopted.  Look at PGP or any other
digital e-mail signature technology. The average user doesn't understand why they're useful, isn't willing to pay for them or go through the trouble to use a free implementation, and the whole idea just withered on the vine. Even businesses, for whom e-mail has become a mission critical aspect find the expense and trouble of implementing a simple, company-wide public key encryption/signing system to be too much of an effort or financial burden
without a useful ROI.  And what could be more important to a large
corporation than secure, guaranteed communications? The same is true of anonymizing proxies; anonymizing proxies have been in existence for years, and they're only used by a trivial number of people. Wide scale adoption of such a technology appears to be as likely as wide adoption of digitally
signed e-mail...

PGP and digital signature technology is not a valid comparison. Digital signatures require one party to do something so another can benefit. I can't force anyone to sign the emails they send me. (I know -- I've tried with E*Trade and other financial institutions.)

A Google query spoofer, on the other hand, need only be implemented by the person who benefits from it. That makes all the difference.

A network of anonymizing proxies already exists, so again only the person who is to benefit from their use need do something (set up and use an anonymizer client.) That's considerably easier than a public key infrastructure.

I may not be able to protect everyone -- some won't want or care to be protected -- but I can still write the software and make the offer. More importantly, I can protect myself without anyone else's help. That's important because it means that anyone else can also do the same if they're sufficiently concerned about their privacy.

I'm not really *opposed* to laws restricting what Google can do with private data. I just don't think they'll do any good. They might even be counterproductive by giving people a false sense of security, particularly against government abuses.