Interesting People mailing list archives

more on AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:51:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysys com>
Date: December 30, 2005 3:28:21 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] more on AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak

There is another implicit argument in Mr. Bray's comment that should be
challenged, and that is that this is an "ongoing intelligence operation"
that is only related to the war. I am not saying that it has been
abused, but I don't see how Mr. Bray could say that it has not been
abused - to say so would purely be a faith-based statement at this point
(in fact, I am not really sure that anyone could say what would actually
constitute abuse under this system).  I quickly note that this is not
knee jerk cynicism about this specific administration - it is simply
general cynicism about the danger of unchecked executive power that has
long been recognized by the checks and balances inherent in our system.

I think that every reasonable person recognizes a few issues in this
debate, namely that wiretapping/surveillance is a necessary tool of
wartime as well as peacetime, and that confidentiality of the target is
essential to the success of these operations.  Thus, the FISA system was
created so that someone independent of the administration confidentially
confirms the validity of each wiretap target, even ex post, so that
everyone has some assurance that the system is not being abused, without
anyone knowing the particulars.  Many on both sides of the aisle have
said this principle is inviolable, and I think it is dangerous to say
that does not matter because the administration has ruled that its
actions are legal.

To conclude, I guess I would ask Mr. Bray where the line is in all this
- if it is simply enough for the DOJ to say a wartime activity is legal
to make it so, is there ever an action that they could take that would
go too far for you?

Michael