Interesting People mailing list archives

an interesting interchange re ILEC charges

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:53:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce () NEWNETWORKS COM>
Date: December 22, 2005 9:10:04 PM EST
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: Re: Your article on Sam Simon

Sam, (see sam's letter below.)

I really love getting your letters. But if you're such a consumer advocate, why don't you help Teletruth raise a few million dollars and then we can absolve you of any sins or indiscretions.

For example, we filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), claiming that the Bell companies made false and misleading statements in multiple states to change state laws ---- they promised to rewire America with fiber optics for cable competition in 1992 --- It's well documented by their own statements. --- that's SBC, BellSouth, Verizon, Qwest. The fiber optic upgrades never happened. Is this why America is 16th in broadband?

By 2006, 86 million households should have been rewired with 45 Mbps, bi-directional services, 500 channels. Customers paid extra for these networks, about $200 billion -- $2000 a household is the low number.

We're simply not getting any traction. Why don't you help us get press?. And why don't you help us get a congressional investigation as well? Don't you care that the phone companies harmed low income families who really need this money? -- It's like, $2000 per household! Larger than any tax cut. This would make a lot of difference to a low income household this holiday season, I tell you.

Teletruth is broke. I admit it. So if we had money we could hire a lobbying firm, a pr firm, pay New Networks to do the documentation --- come on. This will show us in solidarity.

Or maybe you want to do another campaign -- Fix phone bills. Teletruth is proposing the "Truth-in-Billing Act of 2006" to tell the truth about stuff like the FCC Line Charge on a Verizon bill. It's misnamed and is direct revenue to the phone company, even though it's in the 'taxes and surcharges" section. Shouldn't customers know that? And it's never been audited. Damn, why don't you help us get that Audit. It could mean billions of dollars back for the disabled, the tired, the poor, those huddled masses.

Oh, I know in the past you got them to raise this charge from $3.50 to $6.50.. But, the FCC is now saying they want to raise the FCC (goes to the bell company) Line Charge to $10.00 a month! Don't you want to stop that in its tracks?

And why is it that you want to raise the Universal Service Fund and put it on VOIP services? Join our call for an investigation of the fund... Do rich phone companies really need it more than Aunt Ethel? How do you take the poor 10+% for universal service that the are funding? Humbug to that.

A few million well placed with Teletruth -- we can do adds in Roll Call, a media blitz in California, luncheon for key congressional telecom staffers, throw in meetings with a Senator or Congressmen-- you're for helping customers, right?

I hear you're gone for a few week. and congrats on the new grandson.

One more thing... And since this is the holiday season, I would hope that everyone on cybertelecom will wish Sam Simon best wishes... But ask Sam to help poor teletruth. A few million would go a long way in the public interest fights against the dark forces.

Next time, just post your responses to cybertelecom --we're all friends here....

Bruce Kushnick, Tell-The-Truth-Sam.
====
PS: you wrote: ---not news to anyone, comes up when yyou Google "fiction" and "Sam Simon"

Google. Results 1 - 10 of about 120,000 for Sam Simon Fiction. (0.27 seconds) Opps.

  Thanks Bruce,

I'm just disappointed you didn't mention my new Grandson!! Don't get too excited, but there are now two generations waiting right behind me!!!

  Oy Vey!!

I am off line tilll after the New Year. And thanks for sharing the article with the list. I was too modest to do so myself, and figured it would be best coming from you. As to your response, not news to anyone, comes up when you Google "fiction" and "Sam Simon"

  Sam