Interesting People mailing list archives

more on eBay faces up to online fraud The online auctioneer eBay has admitted an "extreme growth" in the number of personal accounts being hijacked by fraudsters.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:30:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John R. Myers" <jmyers () n6wuz net>
Date: December 16, 2005 8:13:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] eBay faces up to online fraud The online auctioneer eBay has admitted an "extreme growth" in the number of personal accounts being hijacked by fraudsters.

For IP if you wish.

eBay blames its account holders for not installing proper security on
their home computers and for replying to so-called "phishing" emails.

I have pulled apart serveral of these very clever eBay phishes.
Invariably they include links to artwork that's hosted on the eBay site.
eBay does not seem interested in going after the phishers nor in
protecting its trademarks.

Furthermore, the phishers know my eBay userid. How are they able to
link my userid to my e-mail address? Possibly another eBay'er divulged
the linkage, but my money is on an inside job.
--
John R. Myers  /  P.O. Box 1722  /  Westminster, CA  92684  /  USA
tel. +1 714 901-3672