Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on eBay faces up to online fraud The online auctioneer eBay has admitted an "extreme growth" in the number of personal accounts being hijacked by fraudsters.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:30:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Weisberger <jweisberger () mac com>
Date: December 16, 2005 7:37:04 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on eBay faces up to online fraud The online auctioneer eBay has admitted an "extreme growth" in the number of personal accounts being hijacked by fraudsters.

Ebay simply doesn't use email to contact its customers without being offered a proactive impetus. You will never get an email from PayPal or Ebay asking you to click a link and enter your password. The most you'll see email from them, in that area, is in response to you hitting the website and reporting a password lost. They email you a link to go to an enter a code they supply to confirm your identity. Then you change your password. They also send me enough email to know that spoof () ebay com and spoof () paypal com is where to forward any weird looking email. They respond very quickly and let you know if it is an establish phishing attempt that they have seen already or if its new, thank you for forwarding it in AND then reiterate that you should never trust an unsolicited email asking for your password.

Ebay uses an internal messaging system inside of your my.ebay page for passing messages back and forth between users and some Ebay contacts. They simply try not to use email for things that would in turn open a door and allow the spoofs to mistaken for legitimate.

I'm also a little confused as the context or accuracy of the quotes in the BBC article, or the actual role of the gentleman interviewed. I know someone who is tied into the Fraud Investigations and Law Enforcement Relations global management infrastructure at Ebay and everything I've heard leads me to believe the opposite of what I read in the article. Ebay seems to invest a lot in investigating and preventing any sort of criminal activity, across all of its various business units, and works very closely with law enforcement in every country they have a presence in.