Interesting People mailing list archives

Health care and computers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:15:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: December 10, 2005 11:56:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Michael.Kende () analysys com
Subject: RE: [IP] Health care and computers

Dave and Michael,

I can only share my anecdotal experience as someone that is part of the
healthcare system (as a pre-hospital EMT) and IT person who has been equally
frustrated by many of the same issues that Michael has mentioned below.

I think most of the issues can be attributed to a few root causes:

1. Lack of appropriate and useful software that reflects an understanding of the business processes of hospitals and the organizations that feed into
them.
2.  Lack of standards
3.  Government regulation or lack thereof.

One of the frustrating things that I have seen is that lack of decent
software available for the healthcare industry.  In the pre-hospital
setting, most software seems to be menu-driven, non-customizable and fairly kludgy. I've seen a lot of software missing basic components, such as an
easy-to-use report writer to address new reporting requirements.  My
organization was so frustrated by the search for a software package that one
of our members returned from college with his CS degree and wrote a nice
web-based application (which he is currently customizing and selling to
equally frustrated organizations in the area.).

I've seen the same thing in area hospitals.  Two of our hospitals have
recently replaced the triage process with a PC based system and the time it
takes to go through triage has increased dramatically.  The paper-based
system allowed the triage nurse to collect basic information specific and relevant to the patient and then fill in the blanks later. The nurse could
gather the medical information and have the demographic information
collected later. Now, because the nurse is creating the computer record, triage now must collect all of the demographic information before they can begin entering any medical care information. Or they must enter irrelevant medical information to that patient (temperature on a heart attack patient)
because the system requires it to complete the whole record.  Obviously,
better designed software would allow a dynamic information entry process but
for whatever reason, it is not what we are seeing.

The second issue is a lack of standards. In NJ, we have been advocating for
standardized pre-hospital care reports.  We are told that the state is
publishing a standard data set but no agreement has been forthcoming. This is likely one of the direct contributors to the poor software available as no one wants to invest significant energy in a system that won't meet state standards. Pennsylvania adopted a state-wide standard a long time ago their care providers have been using electronic data tools -- first scantron forms
and now tablet PCs -- since then.

Finally, government regulation plays a big part here as well.  We have
recently been told that new regulations have been developed that require ERs
to evaluate the medications of all patients as there has been a concern
about patients being over medicated.  As a result, a person's prior
medication information is less relevant is required to ask and review what medications you are on today. As well, you have government requirements,
such as the Ryan White act, which require maintenance of records (in the
case of Ryan White it is for 30 years) but without a clear standard of what
format and essential needs to be maintained.

As a counterpoint, I'll give brief example of something that I understand was successfully implemented in Philadelphia and I think is an interesting
example of what happens when standards and solid software and business
analysis takes place.  Philadelphia Fire Department entered into a joint
agreement with the hospital systems in Philadelphia to develop an electronic system for data interchange. The system was designed and managed by a third party company who oversaw billing and received a percentage of the billings
in return for providing the software and hardware.

The paramedics in the field complete their run report on a tablet PC during the transport. On arrival at the ER, the paramedics "dock" the tablet and transfer all of the electronic information to the hospital system -- past
medical history, medications, allergies, etc, history of the present
illness, etc speeding creation of an accurate hospital chart. The tablet in turn receives an ID number for that patient's record. This is a benefit to the PFD because frequently they get poor address information and lose the ability the bill. When the paramedic returns to base and docks again, the
call information is uploaded to the PFD's record and billing system.
Because the hospital typically collects good insurance and identity
information, the third party company links the fire department record to the hospital billing record. My understanding is that successful PFD billings
went from $200-$300K to several million.

However, Philadelphia is able to do this because Pennsylvania has
well-developed standards, a large regional (the city) area which they serve and several large hospital systems (Penn, Tenet, Temple, Jefferson, Catholic
Health East) which make up the majority of the ERs.

-Ed