Interesting People mailing list archives

Health care and computers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:06:50 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysys com>
Date: December 10, 2005 4:17:41 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Health care and computers

Dave,

If you see fit for IP, I have a question about the computerization, or
lack thereof, of hospital health care.  Having spent more time than I
would care to have in the past few years around hospitals, there is an
obvious reformulation of Robert Solow's quote, that one can see
computers everywhere in the hospital except in productivity.  I wondered
if anyone had any thoughts why this is (or why my perception is not correct)?

For those of you fortunate enough not to have recent experience in
hospitals, these are some observations from some of the big hospitals in
the Washington DC region including Georgetown and Sibley:

- check-in is painfully slow, even if they have previous records, even
in the emergency room.  Georgetown actually photocopies drivers license
and insurance cards each time for even for regularly scheduled visits.
- although all information is input into computers, it comes out as
papers onto clipboards and gets carried around that way from then on.
Several weeks ago one of my relatives was at the emergency room and no
Doctor came to see her because her clipboard was not in the triage slot (I had to
find it).
- no records of previous medical information seem to be (readily) available. This
same relative had been multiple times in the same hospital for the same
reason, but when they noticed that her blood pressure was low they had
to ask us if this was uncommon, rather than simply check records.
- not sure how Doctor's orders get passed through the system, but I know
that they start on paper in cupboards outside each room (at least at
Sibley)

So the question is, why can the Hilton check someone in faster than the
emergency room, even for a repeat visit, and keep and use information
abuot previous visits such as newspaper preference (whereas the hospital
has to find out each time about a penicillin allergy)?  Why does a
Doctor come into the room with less computer power in his/her hands than
the UPS delivery person?  What am I missing?

I guess possible explanations include:

- budgets, except that the hospitals all do have computers everywhere,
it is just not clear what goes in and what is available afterwards.
- privacy, but could that explain the same hospital not having easily
available records on the same person?
- others?

Given the size of health care in the economy, and the potential impact
on lowering costs, not to mention better diagnosis and prevention of
mistakes, it would be interesting to learn both what I am missing in
terms of what the existing computers are used for and why the whole
process does not seem more computerized,

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael Kende

Principal Consultant

Analysys Consulting

Tel:  1 202 349-1114

Fax: 1 202 349-1113

The information in this Internet email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this Internet email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in the Internet email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing engagement letter or contract.