Interesting People mailing list archives

more on gas prices

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:44:05 -0400

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:32:05 +0200
From: Henrik Brameus <blondino () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on gas prices
To: dave () farber net

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;

b=D9NtBP4rehS0VZ70Faeg/LL2Rqr24ZE+BKT+WjmXVfByYxWRdC7GOqQygGtGYCv4CppgGj7eFvUqTEmRurmypPBoSYELDXPahb2vV5Vo1+T6hVp/BU3ouNcHA+ExSqCtxLZiPwA9/c3kMWax0HpNaIVtUSndnl5PaFqob340HtI=
Dave,

For IP if you wish.

As a European I am always stunned when there is talk about the
American gas (or petrol) prices, since they consistently lie on about
25% of what we pay in Europe. In other words, you pay for a gallon
what we pay for a litre.

This of course means that not as many people here have as many cars,
and that the cars we have are more energy efficient. If I look out my
window here in Amsterdam I see a lot of small cars, like Nissan Micra,
Peugeot 206, Ford Focus or the extremely small Smart car. And I see
almost no SUV:s, and there I think is the big difference.

If I remember correctly the automobile industry did a good job
lobbying to exempt light trucks from the fuel efficiency initiative in
the 70's. That meant that while station wagons were getting more and
more difficult to produce due to increasing efficiency regulations,
the SUV became the new family vehicle that was needed to cater for a
family with a few children.

Then the automobile industry managed to convince people that building
a car large would make it safer, but they never mentioned that trucks
don't have to pass crash tests, so the only safety feature is the
amount of metal between you and your fellow motorists. No crumple
zones, no extra strong cages or anything else that makes a modern car
much safer than an old one. And then on top of that an SUV guzzles
gas.

So the lack of useful public transport in the US is a conscious choice
that the government made to appease the automobile industry lobby. If
light trucks had not been excempted and the gasoline prices had been
hiked upwards more since the 70s and the money made had been put into
creating good alternatives, the state of the nation would not be where
it is. Instead the US would be a country full of reasonably sized and
energy efficient cars, a better public transport system and an
emission level that would be much closer to what is mentioned in the
suggested Kyoto agreement.

Henrik

--
"If you're right 98% of the time, why quibble about the remaining 3%?"
Henrik Brameus - http://www.benitel.com/ - blondino () gmail com.invalid