Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC rules that telcos can cut off DSL resellers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:03:24 -0400

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:34:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: EEkid () aol com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FCC rules that telcos can cut off DSL resellers
To: dave () farber net, joe () via net
X-Spam-Clean: 7% (NO_REAL_NAME 0, __AOL_FROM 0, __BAT_BOUNDARY 0, __C230066_P5 0, __CHILD_PORN_NOT_1 0, __CT 0, __CTYPE_HAS_BOUNDARY 0, __CTYPE_MULTIPART 0, __CTYPE_MULTIPART_ALT 0, __FRAUD_419_BARRISTER 0, __HAS_MSGID 0, __HAS_X_MAILER 0, __LINES_OF_YELLING 0, __MIME_HTML 0, __MIME_VERSION 0, __SANE_MSGID 0, __STOCK_CRUFT 0, __STOCK_PHRASE_7 0, __TAG_EXISTS_HTML 0) X-Greylist: Default is to whitelist mail, not delayed by milter-greylist-2.0 (mx5.andrew.cmu.edu [128.2.10.115]); Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
Yes, but what happens when the ILEC (incumbent local exchange carrier) won't allow the customer to purchase THEIR DSL service? Sound odd? I thought so too. Since all the local exchanges were used in my area, I had to get what is called a "foreign exchange" for my telephone. Once I got this foreign exchange I was no longer allowed to purchase DSL through Verizon while using the foreign exchange.

I then purchased the DSL from Covad which uses Verizon's infrastructure (same phone line). If Verizon, dumps Covad as is now possible, I'll be without broadband access.

Better price? Hardly! Covad charges $29.99 per month. Verizon charges $29.99 per month. While Verizon may be able to charge less, they choose not to do so. I have received numerous calls from Verizon wanting me to switch to their DSL service. I simply explain to their solicitors that I'm ineligible for DSL service. They always argue that their computer shows that DSL is available for my address, I then have explain that while that is the case, VERIZON CHOOSES NOT TO ALLOW ME TO USE THEIR SERVICE.

Jerry Ballman