Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Apple to add Trusted Computing to the new kernel?

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:04:16 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mike Todd"<Todd () iramp com>
Sent: 8/1/05 12:57:49 PM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>, "Ip Ip"<ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Apple to add Trusted Computing to the new kernel?

Dr. Farber,

How much longer can we all sit around and debate the handing over of our
ability to use even our own data and maybe even lose the ownership of our
own data to the very clever folks who convince us that the need to protect
intellectual property rights gives them the right to take all that from us?
And the clever part is to make it very appealing to allow us to purchase new
systems (hardware and software) that "give us so much" but the trade-off is
that we relinquish ownership of our own data and our ability to choose how
we may manipulate and use our own data.

I, for one, am not ready to allow someone else to decide whether or not I
can use my own data on my own system using the software I choose to use and
deciding whether I want to share my own data with someone else to use on
whatever system they choose to use.  I do agree there are people who are
causing problems for all of the rest of us by

If Linux "must become marginalized" and the only way Apple can remain "in
the game" is to join the ranks of those who are removing the rights of
"normal" computer users to control their own data and the way they use their
own computers then maybe we've lost it all already.

Mike Todd
President, Mike Todd Associates - www.MikeTodd.com
Supporting the Digital Coast