Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Apple to add Trusted Computing to the new kernel?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:19:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Onosko <onosko () gmail com>
Date: August 1, 2005 11:55:27 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Apple to add Trusted Computing to the new kernel?

Was there any doubt that this would be so?

First, Apple does not want to sell its OS so that it can be mounted on "white box" PC hardware. Apple sells both hardware and software. And to keep selling hardware, it must sell computers to which OS X is locked by their so-called "Fritz" chip. If the OS ever got "into the wild," as it were, and ran on standard PCs, it would be the end of Apple -- or at least the Mac -- as we know it.

Second, Apple undoubtedly does NOT want to be left out of the world that Intel and MSFT are envisioning, in which the trusted consumer platform is an absolute requirement for entertainment, e-commerce and the delivery of information. Without the TC environment, the Mac OS would become marginalized, just as Linux now will.

Third, I am willing to bet my house that Apple will tout its new machines' capacity to run multiple operating systems, specifically Mac OS and Windows, even though competing Intel-based machines will not be boot both Windows AND the Mac OS. This is a clear advantage that the hardware-based TC environment offers Apple. And it alone will have this advantage.