Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:06:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kobrin, Steve" <kobrins () wharton upenn edu>
Date: August 5, 2005 11:49:31 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

There is a broader question here.  First, "we" is relative; it is far
from clear to me that the large number of Americans who refuse to accept
evolution would condemn the Pope.

More importantly, where have we failed as educators?  It is all too easy
to blame all of this on the Christian Right or fundamentalists.  But if
the surveys are right and around 50% of Americans do not accept
evolution, then 50% of Americans do not accept geology, physics,
archeology and a host of other sciences.  Most of these people are high
school graduates and a good number have college degrees.  What kind of
science education did they have? Evolution is somewhat abstract in the
sense that you can not see or feel it; rocks, however, are not.  Strata
are visible to all.

Most of these people have had science in high school or college.
However, if someone tells them that it is all nonsense and the world was
created 5000 years ago, they believe it.  One has to wonder about the
quality of science education in this country.

Given Bush's latest statement one also has to wonder about the quality
of science education at Andover and Yale.

Steve