Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Levees down after funding cuts

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:34:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Roger Dannenberg <rbd () cs cmu edu>
Date: August 31, 2005 10:00:53 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Levees down after funding cuts

  Levees itself may be cause for destruction of natural processes that
could have protected the low lying areas as the following article says
regards sashi

Maybe I'm missing your point[AGAIN I AM THE EDITOR .. NOT MY POINT DJF], and maybe the article doesn't spell it out.
Without levees, the Mississippi would by now almost certainly be flowing
west of New Orleans through what is now called the Atchafalaya Basin. This would certainly be good for the wetlands and it would relieve some flooding potential in New Orleans, but I don't think citizens would feel their "low
lying areas" were protected if the river disappeared.  -Roger