Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NZ VoIP

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:58:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: david.e.young () verizon com
Date: August 31, 2005 8:24:08 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on NZ VoIP

Dave,

It seems to me that the original poster made an incorrect assumption which has been carried throughout this thread. Specifically, he assumes that NZ 's VoIP telephone will be delivered over IP all the way to the subscriber's home. I doubt that is the plan. More likely, they are planning to replace all of their end-office and tandem switching infrastructure with a VoIP/softswitch architecture. This will almost certainly include line gateways in the central office which will provide dial-tone and battery over the existing copper wires to the home and look to the customer no different than today's services. These gateways provide the same 'line power' and battery backup capabilities of the existing circuit switches. So why make the change? NZ can probably achieve efficiencies by moving to a converged IP-based core network, plus they can more easily add and integrate IP-based features with this architecture and ensure a smooth transition to voice over broadband for those homes and businesses with broadband who want that capability.

Best regards,
David

--------------------------------
David E. Young